Skip to main content

Green Swatches


My body will forget
My thoughts will be Scattered
Amongst Winter's Gloom.

Amongst Nature’s Seasoned robes
I walk and restore
My broken thoughts.

With widening strides
I turn to the botanical essence
Leaving traces of desire.

To swatches of green
I turn my attentiveness
To refresh tomorrow’s thoughts.

Jim
 

Currently Popular Poems:

Above a Sea of Fog

Caspar David Friedrich, 'Wanderer above a Sea of Fog' (c.1818) She once said I looked like a graceful swan drifting serene across the surface of the water, giving no clue to the feet paddling so furiously beneath me. It was a cliché, small comfort unless you are obsessed with appearances. His wandering, like mine, is threatened by the drifting mist that twists and turns, obscuring paths that lie ahead, decisions that weigh so heavily on lesser minds, not lightly made. Masterful he looks, above this boiling sea, so nicely turned out, so dapper in his neatly tailored coat, perched high above the reach of such disorder, never likely to muddy his resolve. Webbed feet paddle beneath me so constantly I am not always aware. I dress well, tie back my unruly hair leaving a wisp or two free to roam. I do not want to look severe. But the fog creeps. Julia

Lockdown the Green

Plastic screens Covid-19 Keep hands clean Covid-19 Don’t make a scene Covid-19 Lockdown on the green Covid-19 Face masks mean Covid-19 Covid-19 HAS BEEN     by Joe    

Nobody Knows- Tribute to a dead acquaintance

Nobody knows Sat alone in the field Seasoned, and twisted corn stalks. Nobody knows my hidden thoughts Reaching the heights, Fortitude amongst thieves. Nobody knows against a backdrop of August heat, an Unplanned lesson. Nobody knows. Graeme

Saharan Breeze on Suffolk Shores

That special summer evening. Whispering Saharan breeze on Suffolk shores. Warmth gently caressing, sensually embracing. Soft silken touch. Tomorrow is Monday. Today is paradise. Let this last forever. Shall we stay? A B&B? Reluctantly, we turn and leave this strangely tropical coast tonight. Bliss has to end. As did our love. That rare heated air will return, and I will cherish its soft warmth. But will intimate love? A warm embrace, a soft caress. Sharing a special summer evening. Anon. 

Seasons

To each a season: the planets Turn in Kepler's gyre, Swelling the mental weather, Fattening the wealth Of light and dark I weekly Feel in my own solitude. To each a season: a death Of what was hard and cold: A burst of sun to break My hoary sadness And gild the shining tower I build around your smile. But let's not talk of sun But speak instead of life And all the things I feel When living through mortality. The lovely times We feast and meagre times We only feed on memories. I have my seasons. Tim Holt-Wilson

A Woodland Ensemble - Psithurism of the Trees.

The plane tree With paper-like rustle Elephant patches And scaly trunk. Memories And mellow whispers Of a darkest tempest Dropping the bass. Constable elms Whispering, suckering saplings Converting To beetle runs beneath. Ash- With minstrel keys playing harmonies masking sinister die back. Crataegus thickets The scratchy rasping may catch you quick. Whispering pines Bend forwards Reaching skywards Splintering the silence. Mother beech With spaltered Marks waltzing And humoresque streaks. Holly reigns in Summer solstice Days shorten And poco a poco winter returns. King of the woods Ships hold Forte and Table fast. Eric

Pandemic

Piecing together all our hopes and dreams, joining the broken fragments of our lives, managing the pain of another loss, full of joy when finally together, society’s fabric hangs by a thread. Julia Duke

Ordinary Miracle

gratitude for the toothpaste pleasure at my soft mattress joy of the first sip of tea delight as my cat stretches to remember the miracle of ordinary things unhook the small mind move into the space where miracles are happening each second my body is breathing me in, out, every moment in, out in Sarah Caddick

Alone (with the birds)

I’m not good at numbers; words are more my thing but I dabble in statistics and the mathematics of probability. Chance I call it. I’m not often alone. Not often silent, except that companionable silence when you’re lost in your thoughts, but in good company. Surprised all at once by a squawk, a solitary moorhen deep in the reeds, minding its own business, today I’m out practising, sitting alone in the sunshine. Together, we come here often, striding up the cliff-top, dawdling through Kensington Gardens, pointing out fading displays of dahlias and falling leaves. We order americanos at the cafĂ©, with a jug of hot milk on the side – ‘that’s hot milk, please’ – to make our stay last a bit longer. Today, though, it’s just coffee for one. I consider a cappuccino, a break from routine; old habits are hard to break. ‘Americano’ I say, ‘with hot milk, please’. Would I change if I were left alone? The moorhen seems content. Does it ponder the meaning of life? A seagull soars into the blue – doe

Mental Health

When is it really quiet? Underwater bubbles pop and sounds muffle. When drowning screams are choked by the deluge into mouth and larynx. Then there’s the sinking, the floating, the bloating. A Quakers’ meeting is quiet enough except for sniffs, breathing, the odd shuffle and the builders outside shouting and cursing about late cement. Then there’s catching up, and clicking back. Laying in clover and ox-eyes on a field is quiet but the wind wiffles leaves, whilst high up a buzzard screeches her woes. Does her mate listen? Then there’s the underground-scratching of moles. I meditate to find the quiet, swim to find stillness. I turn off radios, T.V., iphone, my mind. Yet cables buzz, aircraft streak across quiet skies plants and trees creak and sing as they grow. I seek the grail as I dance echoes of pain and joy I read my poems aloud, and then comes the silence. Sue Foster