Skip to main content

Pandemic


Piecing together all our hopes and dreams,
joining the broken fragments of our lives,
managing the pain of another loss,
full of joy when finally together,
society’s fabric hangs by a thread.

Julia Duke

Currently Popular Poems:

Counterbalancing

Fleeting sideways glimpses smash a rib I fall silently on my wing repair I despair. Fragments and bones crush a thought I rise and counterbalance a further day. Paula

Bones on the Shore

We walk the shoreline down in that dark dip at year’s end, while life’s still slumbering. The beach is a graveyard. We clamber, beneath ominous skies, through cathedrals of bones. Beached giants, prone on the sand, gaunt skeletons, arms uplifted, feet still reluctant to leave. In the lifetime of my children, these dinosaurs, these mighty oaks have fallen, their forms sculpted by time and weather, yet even in death they hold such power. They lie, steadfast as ever, awesome, majestic, statuesque, garlanded with gifts from the river: soft green fronds, little crabs, bladder wrack decorating their fingers. For centuries they stood strong, hearing the river’s song: ebb, flow, winter, spring, tide and moon rising, falling, curlew calling, calling. We will walk the shorelines at that bright time of new beginnings, now we are awakening. Jan Armstrong Photo by Daniel Lincoln via Unsplash

Dunwich Heath Cliff

Beachen sand, coastal gravel Heave and spew with every wave Are fixed above my head Banks of sand, clots of gravel Two million-years adrift Are rolling at my feet Same old, same old Dunwich Cliff, Dunwich Beach: The poetry of sediment remains Tim

Pollard Willows at Sunset

Van Gogh, 'Pollard Willows at Sunset', (1888) Under a throbbing sun, trees stand tall, coldly blue against the summer glow. Gnarled, knobby and defiant, they raise their hands to the yellow sky, where, high above, a shining globe dispenses lemon-coloured radiance. As the sun sinks, the trees settle down for a brief night of repose, whilst the sap still rises, triumphant, resisting, mirroring the cut and thrust of life. Together, they reach for the sky. Behind them the coruscating water proclaims its own blue indispensability: light, warmth and water, hallowed gifts of life on which the whole earth depends. Julia

Alone (with the birds)

I’m not good at numbers; words are more my thing but I dabble in statistics and the mathematics of probability. Chance I call it. I’m not often alone. Not often silent, except that companionable silence when you’re lost in your thoughts, but in good company. Surprised all at once by a squawk, a solitary moorhen deep in the reeds, minding its own business, today I’m out practising, sitting alone in the sunshine. Together, we come here often, striding up the cliff-top, dawdling through Kensington Gardens, pointing out fading displays of dahlias and falling leaves. We order americanos at the cafĂ©, with a jug of hot milk on the side – ‘that’s hot milk, please’ – to make our stay last a bit longer. Today, though, it’s just coffee for one. I consider a cappuccino, a break from routine; old habits are hard to break. ‘Americano’ I say, ‘with hot milk, please’. Would I change if I were left alone? The moorhen seems content. Does it ponder the meaning of life? A seagull soars into the blue – doe

The Skylark

A fletched fanfare to the field Pulses upward Ladders the air No regalia for this herald: A flickering tattered grey-brown speck Yet he cascades his song Like a million pieces of silver Glorying the sky Owning the hunkered down, machine-torn hedges, The tilled and tamed expanse beneath Daring the wind, taunting I’m here, he cries, I’m here Awakening the wild joy in our hearts Bone-bred memories of open heath and grassland. Robert Lindsay

Cardamine Pratensis

after Laurie Lee, ‘Milkmaid’ ‘Tender cress and cuckoo-flower: And curly-haired, fair-headed maids, Sweet was the sound of their singing’* A pretty name, the ‘cuckoo flower’, just one of many guises: ‘Our Lady’s smock’, or ‘fairy flowers’ that come in varied sizes. The flower, they said, could bring bad luck so rarely picked for remedies; but sometimes risked to use like cress to pepper up the lunchtime cheese. The ‘May flower’ tells us when it blooms while ‘coco plants’ confuse the mind, the rustic ‘milkmaid’ seems to show an image that is less refined. The name suggests a dainty wench, just like the flower, a pleasant sight, who tends the herd in shaded barn in frilly smock, all dazzling white. They say the blooming coincides with cuckoo’s call; they may be right but milkmaids conjure up the mood of summer’s idyll at its height. Lee’s marigolds and buttercups and ‘brimming harvest of their day’ reveal to us a bygone time, remind us of those country ways. Julia Duke *From a 15th or 16

Hidden Depths of Strength

A hint of sadness Always in my eyes Reflecting the madness And chaos of the past. I long for normality To be rescued from the depths Don't step too close Always in my eyes. Keep others at a distance Hidden strength Always in my eyes Uncertainty and sadness. Rebecca

Ready to Spring

Like the gnarly springtime bulbs, dormant in the ground Your demons crouch under the skin, waiting to be found Waiting for their moment, to break through and be seen The pale face of snowdrops, in a vibrant sea of green Emmalene Taylor

Castaway

If my cast was made of moss I’d be content With the spring of reassurance. If my emotions were made of clay I’d mould them Into a ball. If my ball rolled Far away I’d rescue them Without fail. Natasha