Skip to main content

Above a Sea of Fog

Caspar David Friedrich, 'Wanderer above a Sea of Fog' (c.1818)

She once said I looked like a graceful swan
drifting serene across the surface of the water,
giving no clue to the feet paddling so furiously
beneath me. It was a cliché, small comfort
unless you are obsessed with appearances.

His wandering, like mine, is threatened
by the drifting mist that twists and turns,
obscuring paths that lie ahead, decisions
that weigh so heavily on lesser minds,
not lightly made. Masterful

he looks, above this boiling sea,
so nicely turned out, so dapper
in his neatly tailored coat, perched
high above the reach of such disorder,
never likely to muddy his resolve.

Webbed feet paddle beneath me
so constantly I am not always aware.
I dress well, tie back my unruly hair
leaving a wisp or two free to roam.
I do not want to look severe.

But the fog creeps.

Julia

Currently Popular Poems:

Dunwich Heath Cliff

Beachen sand, coastal gravel Heave and spew with every wave Are fixed above my head Banks of sand, clots of gravel Two million-years adrift Are rolling at my feet Same old, same old Dunwich Cliff, Dunwich Beach: The poetry of sediment remains Tim

First Wave

Some we lost, for some it was days, for some it simply never went away. Three years of changes, yet no change at all.  It’s like the infection put up a wall. Now 2 million people whose lives have been changed, life plans on hold, p ermanently re-arranged. Anon, For Long Covid Sufferers

Lace-like Shadows

Dancing with lace-like shadows of forgotten worlds, the tortoiseshell creeps slowly, the last energies to lie upon the rough bark. With folded wings, Madame butterfly is no more til Spring. Charlotte